Flights from Koh Samui to Bangkok are expensive and for this reason many visitors choose to travel by bus and ferry from Koh Samui to Bangkok. It takes about 12 to 16 hours to travel by bus and ferry from Koh Samui to Bangkok, but the cost saving is likely to be around 2,500 THB per person compared to the cost of flying direct from Koh Samui to Bangkok.
Bus Times from Koh Samui to Bangkok
There are currently 7 joint ferry and bus services from Koh Samui to Bangkok available to book online.
- Travel Tip: For the quickest and most comfortable combined bus and boat services to Bangkok, I recommend using either:
- Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company
Buy Tickets from Koh Samui to Bangkok
Use the Search Box below to buy your tickets from Koh Samui to Bangkok.
Independent Travel from Koh Samui to Bangkok
If you are looking to save money, or you simply prefer using local transport, then you can do the journey more cheaply by taking the car ferry to Donsak ferry with connecting bus service to Surat Thani city.
From there are frequent minivan and bus departures to Bangkok. The trip from Koh Samui to Surat Thani city takes around 3 hours. A bus or minivan from Surat Thani to Bangkok will take between 9 and 14 hours. The total journey can be completed for slightly under 700 THB if you use the car ferry and a cheaper bus service.
Option 1: Lomprayah from Koh Samui to Bangkok
This service leaves from Maenam Lomprayah Pier on the North of the island about 25 minutes drive from Chaweng and 15 minutes from Nathon. The Maenam Lomprayah Pier is about 1.5 km from the main ring road around the Island, which means if you take a shared pick up taxi you will need to walk for about 20 minutes to get to the pier.
Travel Times to Bangkok with the Lomprayah Company
|Depart Koh Samui
- Cost: 1,450 to 1,750 THB
- Journey Time: 12 hours to 12 and 30 minutes.
- Departure Point in Koh Samui: Maenam Pralan Lomprayah Pier
- Location of Maenam Pralan Lomprayah Pier:
- Arrival Point in Bangkok: The Lomprayah Service terminates at the Sip Sam Hang Road which is near the start of Soi Rambutri and 2 minutes from the Khao San Road. To travel onto locations such as the Sukhumvit Road or Silom you need to take a taxi. The Lomprayah service arrives in the evening and in this part of Bangkok it can be difficult to get a taxi to use their meter and charge regular fares. If you plan to use the Lomprayah service it may be more convenient to book a hotel in the Khao San Road area.
- Location of the Lomprayah Bangkok Bus Stop
Option 2: Montanatip from Koh Samui to Bangkok
The Montanatip service leaves from Na Thon. The journey commences with a sea crossing on the Seatran Car Ferry, which is slower than the Lomprayah high speed catamaran ferries. From Donsak ferry pier on the mainland, passengers are taken by bus to the Chakkapong Road in Bangkok, near to the famous Khao San Road.
Travel Times to Bangkok with Montanatip
|Depart Koh Samui
- Cost: 930 THB
- Journey Time: 15 hours
- Departure Point in Koh Samui: Phantip Travel Office in Na Thon
- Location of the Phantip Travel Office in Na Thon:
- Arrival Point in Bangkok: The Thai Sriram service terminates at the Montanatip Tour and Travel office on the Khao San Road.
- Location of the Montanatip Tour and Travel office on the Khao San Road: