This is a journey that needs to be undertaken in 2 stages:
- Stage 1: Bangkok to Phnom Penh. The first stage is the bus from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, where you will arrive in the late afternoon or evening time. 966 to 1,276 THB per person.
- Stage 2: Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City. One night needs to be spent in Phnom Penh before taking another bus for second stage of the journey from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City (also known as Saigon) the following morning.
Bangkok to Saigon: $50 USD
The total price for both tickets booked online is 1,530 THB to 1,840 THB depending upon which travel service you use. The overland route is a great way to travel from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh City because you get to experience a night in Phnom Penh and take in some great scenery on the way.
- Travel Tip: Flying is quicker but not as much fun.
Stage 1: Bangkok to Phnom Penh
Stage 1 of the journey involves taking a bus journey from Bangkok to Phnom Penh in Cambodia. There are four services a day from Bangkok to Phnom Penh you can book online:
- Bus Times from Bangkok to Phnom Penh:
|Travel Mart||01:00||15.00||฿ 1,199|
|Virak Buntham Express||01:00||18:00||฿ 1,276|
|Virak Buntham Express||05:00||18:00||฿ 966|
|Virak Buntham Express||06:00||19:00||฿ 966|
|Virak Buntham Express||07:00||20:00||฿ 966|
|Virak Buntham Express||08:00||21:00||฿ 966|
|Virak Buntham Express||09:00||23:30||฿ 966|
|Travel Mart||08:30||23:30||฿ 1,199|
- The Virak Buntham Express bus departs from the Chao Fa Road.
- The Travel Mart bus departs from the Khao San Road.
Buy Bus Tickets to Phnom Penh
Use the Search Box below to buy your tickets from Bangkok to Phnom Penh:
The Travel Mart bus is likely to be the most convenient service to use if you are staying in the Khao San Road area. If you are staying in another part of Bangkok then the 05.00 departure from Morchit Bus Station may be the better option for you. Although 05.00 is an early departure you arrive in Phnom Penh at 18.00 which means you have time to check into a hotel and freshen up before going out for dinner in exciting Phnom Penh city.
Travel Mart Khao San Bus Stop
- In front of McDonalds on the Khao San Road, Khwaeng Talat Yot, Khet Phra Nakhon, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10200
Visas for Cambodia
There are two options, both of which cost about the same:
- Buy a visa on arrival when you arrive at the border. The bus service stops at a travel agency where you can get the visa for the standard fee of $30 USD plus an administration charge of around 200 THB. You need one passport sized photograph.
- Get a visa in advance online at the official web-site of Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of Kingdom of Cambodia. This e-visa costs $30 USD plus a $7 USD fee for processing the application.
Stage 2: Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh
Stage 2 of the journey involves taking a bus from the Giant Ibis Bus Terminal in Phnom Pehn to the Giant Ibis Bus Station in Ho Chi Minh City.
|Company||Phnom Penh||Ho Chi Minh||Cost|
|Giant Ibis Tranport||08:00||14:30||฿ 564|
|Giant Ibis Tranport||09:45||16:15||฿ 564|
This second part of the journey takes only 6 hours 30 minutes, which is less than half the time it takes to travel by bus from Bangkok to Phnom Penh.
Giant Ibis Bus Station in Phnom Penh
- Preah Moha Ksatreiyani Kossamak Ave (106), Phnom Penh
Visas for Vietnam
There is no ‘Visa on Arrival’ service available at the land border between Cambodia and Vietnam for many nationalities. You may need to get a visa for Vietnam in advance at the embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Phnom Penh. The visa fee is $40 USD and visas are normally available for collection the next working day after an application is made.
Giant Ibis Bus Station in Saigon
- 237 Phạm Ngũ Lão, Quận 1, Hồ Chí Minh