There are three ways to get from Bangkok to Phuket by public transport:
- Option 1: Fly from Bangkok to Phuket.
- Option 2: Take a bus.
- Option 3: Take the train overnight to Surat Thani and then catch a connecting bus direct from Surat Thani train station to Phuket.
Sleeper Train and Bus to Phuket
If you want to save money or you hate flying, then taking a train then a bus is a really good option.
- The direct bus journey takes 13 or 14 hours so it is not much quicker than going by train then bus which takes around 16 hours.
- You can book a sleeper berth on the train and reduce the bus travel time to manageable 4 hours.
Stage 1: Train Journey from Bangkok to Surat Thani
|#173||17:35||06:55||13 hr 20 m||฿ 998|
- Check train ticket availability from Bangkok to Surat Thani.
Stage 2: Bus Journey from Surat Thani to Phuket
|Phantip Travel||07:30||12:00||4 hr 30 m||฿ 200|
- Check bus ticket availability from Surat Thani to Phuket.
Buy Tickets from Bangkok to Phuket
Use the Search Form below to find tickets from Bangkok to Phuket.
Compare travel times and ticket prices for different types of transport from Bangkok to Phuket and make your own choice as to which travel company offers the best service for you.
Travel to Bangkok Train Station
Hua Lamphong is Bangkok’s main train station. It’s a beautiful building built in the 1920s. Getting to Hua Lamphong railway station is easy because there is an MRT (underground railway) station adjacent to the station itself.
You can also get to the train station via the Chao Phraya Express Boat service, and this is a good option if you are coming from the Khao San Road area.
Travel from Bangkok Airport to the Train Station
You can get from Suvarnabhumi (Bangkok’s main international airport) to Bangkok Train Station by public transport for only 65 THB per person. The journey takes an 1 hour in total.
- Airport Link: When you arrive at Suvarnabhumi Airport take the escalators down to the basement and purchase a 35 THB ticket on the Airport Link. The stop you want is called Makkasan.
- Connection: At Makkasan you need to leave the Airport Link and follow the signs to Phetchaburi MRT Station. The MRT is the name for Bangkok’s metro system.
- Metro: From Phetchaburi MRT Station its a 30 THB journey (about 13 minutes) by metro to Hua Lamphong MRT Station, which is the stop you need for Bangkok Train Station.
Location of Bangkok Railway Station
About the train and bus service
For the first stage of the journey you take the 17:35 train from Bangkok Hua Lamphong train station. We advise booking a sleeper seat as the train travels through the night to arrive at Surat Thani train station at 06:55 the next day. At Surat Thani train station staff from Phantip Travel are there to meet passengers as they alight from the train. The bus goes from a car park in front of the Platform 1 about 70 metres to the left as you exit the station building. The journey by bus from Surat Thani Train Station to Phuket Bus Station takes 4 hours 30 minutes.
Local Transport from Phuket Bus Station
Bus services from Surat Thani terminate at Phuket Bus Terminal 2, which is located on the Thepkrasattri Road about 4 km north of Phuket Town. For your onward journey you need to take a tuk-tuk, taxi or shared taxi. Taxis and tuk-tuks are very expensive in Phuket. You will save a lot of money if you use the shared taxi (songthaew) service which operate from the bus station to travel to Phuket Bus Terminal 1 which is a local transport station.
Location of Phuket Bus Terminal 2