There is currently no train line between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. The cheapest and easiest way to travel from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai is to travel by bus. Tickets price ranges from 271 THB per person to 380 THB per person for a VIP bus.
Bus Times from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai
The Green Bus Company has regular departures from Chiang Mai bus Terminal 2 (also known as Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station) from 07:00 to 17:45. The journey is scheduled to take from 3 hours 20 minutes to 6 hours 35 minutes depending on which bus you take.
|Chiang Mai||Chiang Rai||Service||Ticket|
- Express Bus: 48 seats, toilet, snack
- VIP Bus: 24 seats, toilet, snack, meal
Buy Tickets from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai
Use the Search Box below to buy your bus tickets from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.
Powered by 12Go Asia system
About the journey from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai
- Final Stop: The arrival point for this service is Chiang Rai Bus Terminal 1 in the centre of Chiang Rai City near the famous Night Bazaar.
- Route: The 182 km bus journey between Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station and Chiang Rai Bus Terminal 1 passes between two mountainous national parks: Khun Chee National Park and Doi Luang National Park.
- Scenery: The journey to the North east of Chiang Mai provides passengers with stunning mountain and forest views and is a pleasure in itself.
- Rest Break: All bus services stop on route to allow passengers to use the toilet and eat. The stop is roughly halfway and is for around 30 minutes.
- Onward Travel: Adventurous travellers might consider venturing further north after visiting Chiang Rai and continue towards the border with Myanmar for a further 78.9 km to reach Mae Sai, which is the most northerly town in Thailand.
Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station
- Address: 165, Soi 5, Kaeonawarat Road, Tambon Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, 50000, Tambon Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand
Chiang Rai Bus Station 1
- Address: Wiang, Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand