The train network only goes as far north of Chiang Mai. If you want to travel from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai you either need to fly or travel by road. The journey by bus:
- Takes 3 hours to 3 hours 30 minutes.
- Costs between 220 THB and 360 THB (booked online) depending on which service you use.
Bus Times to Chiang Mai
The Green Bus Company provides a frequent and inexpensive bus service between the centre of Chiang Rai city to the bus station on the outskirts of Chiang Mai. There are also plenty of tuk-tuks and shared songthaew taxis waiting at the bus station in Chiang Mai for onward travel within the city. The main bus station in Chaing Mai is 2.6 km from Chiang Mai train station and 4.8 km from the Thae Pae Gate in Chiang Mai’s Old City, which is near to many of the cheaper guest houses.
|Chiang Rai||Chiang Mai||Service||Cost|
- Express Bus: 48 seats, toilet, snack
- VIP Bus: 24 seats, toilet, snack, meal
Buy Tickets to Chiang Mai
Use the Search Box below to buy your bus tickets from Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai.
About Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai is an exciting, lively, diverse and historical town with something for just about everyone. There are three areas which are popular with foreign visitors:
- Firstly, the old city contained with a four wall and a surrounding moat. This area is popular with younger visitors as a place stay and go out in the evening. The old city is where the cheaper guesthouses are located and the busier bars and nightclubs, such as the ever popular Spicy Nightclub on the Moonmuang Road and the fantastic and super cheap Jok Sompet Restaurant.
- The riverside area near the night bazaar is very popular with older visitors and families. There are plenty of good restaurants here and the best hotels in Chaing Mai, such as the excellent and mid price range Porn Ping Tower.
- A third up and coming area, to the north of the city, is the area around around the Nimmanahaeminda Road. The Nimmanahaeminda Road is the centre of modern ‘cool’ in Chiang Mai and is most popular with well to do, young and hip Thai visitors to the city.
Wherever you stay, be sure to visit Wat Doi Suthep and catch the live music in the evening at the Riverside Bar and Restaurant.
Chiang Rai Bus Station 1
- Address: Wiang, Mueang Chiang Rai District, Chiang Rai 57000, Thailand
Chiang Mai Arcade Bus Station
- Address: 165, Soi 5, Kaeonawarat Road, Tambon Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, 50000, Tambon Wat Ket, Amphoe Mueang Chiang Mai, Chang Wat Chiang Mai 50000, Thailand