There are three ways to travel from Hat Yai to Phuket.
- Bus: Direct bus depart from Hat Yai to Phuket throughout the day. This is the cheapest way to travel from Hat Yai to Phuket.
- Fly: The quickest, but also the most expensive, way to travel from Hat Yai to Phuket. The scheduled flight time is 1 hour 05 minutes.
- By train and bus: Hat Yai is on Thailand’s Southern Train Line, which travels along the East coast of Thailand and does not go direct to Phuket. You can, however, travel to Surat Thani and then take a bus or minivan across to Phuket as well other destinations on the Andaman Coast. Because of the train times from Hat Yai to Surat Thani it is difficult to complete the journey in a single day: you either need to spend a night in Surat Thani before travelling onto Phuket, or alternatively start your journey very early in the morning and arrive after 22.00 in Phuket.
Bus Times to Phuket
There are 8 direct bus services a day from Hat Yai to Phuket which you can book online.
|08.00||15.40||371 THB||Sri Trang|
|09.30||17.10||371 THB||Sri Trang|
|10.30||18.10||371 THB||Sri Trang|
|11.45||19.25||371 THB||Sri Trang|
|13.00||20.40||371 THB||Sri Trang|
|18.00||01.40||371 THB||Sri Trang|
|19.30||03.10||555 THB||Sri Trang|
|21.30||05.10||371 THB||Sri Trang|
- The journey time from Hat Yai to Trang by bus is 7 hours 40 minutes.
- The 19.30 departure is a more luxurious service with a meal included and more leg room, which is why it costs more than the other bus services.
Buy Tickets to Phuket
Use the Search Box below to book your tickets from Hat Yai to Phuket.
The bus services listed above are all available to book online through the Search Box above, as well as a single daily flight from Hat Yai to Phuket operated by Bangkok Air departing from Hat Yai at 09.10 and arriving at Phuket Airport at 10.15.
Train travel to Phuket
There are 7 trains a day from Hat Yai to Surat Thani departing at 6.40, 10.58, 14.45, 15.39, 16.23, 18.10, and 18.45. The journey by train from Hat Yai to Surat Thani takes between 4 hours 08 minutes and 6 hours 57 minutes depending upon which train you take. From Surat Thani Train Station there are two direct bus services day to Phuket at 07.45 and 09.45, and more bus and minivan services from Surat Thani to Phuket departing throughout the day from the bus and minivan station on the Talad Mai Road in Surat Thani City Centre, 14.5 km from Surat Thani Railway Station. The journey by road from Surat Thani to Phuket takes around 4 hours.
Hat Yai Bus Station
Bus services to Phuket depart from Hat Yai bus station which is slightly less than 3 km from the popular town centre area of Hat Yai near to the train station. To reach Hat Yai bus station take a local taxi or motorbike taxi. there are always plenty of both waiting for business in the car park near to Hat Yai Train Station and on the main road (the Thumnoonvithi Road) leading to the train station. Expect to pay 40 to 60 THB for the journey from the area near to the train station to Hat Yai Bus Station to catch a bus to Phuket.
Location of Hat Yai Bus Station
- Address: 73, Chotevittayakul Road, Tambon Hat Yai, Amphoe Hat Yai, Songkhla, 90110
Travel to Phuket
Bus services from Hat Yai cross from the Thai mainland to Phuket Island via the Sarasin Bridge which is at the Northern Tip of Phuket. Bus services from Hat Yai terminate at Phuket Bus Terminal (2).
You can catch taxis and minivans direct from Phuket Bus Terminal (2) to other destinations in Phuket such as Patong Beach and Kata Beach, but for the cheapest fares you need to travel 4.8 km from Phuket Bus Terminal (2) to Phuket Bus Terminal (1). Phuket Bus Terminal (1) is on the Phang Nga Road in Phuket Town and is the best place to catch public minivan services to destinations across Phuket. The cheapest way to travel from Bus Terminal (2) to Bus Terminal (1) is to take one of the purple coloured shared songthaew taxis which normally depart from bay 12 of Phuket Bus Terminal (2) and then travel direct to Phuket Bus Terminal (1). The fare is 15 THB per person in the purple songthaew taxis.
Phuket Bus Station
- Phuket Bus Terminal 2 which is located on the Thepkrasattri Road which runs North from Phuket Town.