To travel from Koh Samui you need to take a ferry to mainland and then a bus, train or minivan to Hat Yai. The time consuming part of the journey is not the ferry or bus journey itself, but the time it takes to get from the mainland ferry ports in Donsak to Surat Thani town to catch a bus or a train.
From where the ferries from Koh Samui arrive it takes around 1 hour 30 minutes by bus to then reach either Surat Thani train station or bus station. A much quicker option, which will take at least 2 hours off your journey times, is to book a joint ferry and bus service which will take you direct from the mainland ferry port to Hat Yai.
Travel Times to Hat Yai
There are six departures a day on joint ferry and bus services from Koh Samui to Hat Yai.
|Koh Samui||Hat Yai||Journey||Ticket||Company|
|07.30||15.45||8 hr 15 m||560 THB||Phantip Travel|
|08:00||15:00||7 hr 00 m||800 THB||Lomprayah|
|09:00||16:00||7 hr 00 m||830 THB||Seatran Discovery|
|09:30||17:45||8 hr 15 m||560 THB||Phantip Travel|
|09:45||18:00||8 hr 15 m||800 THB||Lomprayah|
|12:45||20:00||7 hr 15 m||800 THB||Lomprayah|
- The fastest direct service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai is the 09.00 departure with the Seatran Discovery Company.
- The cheapest direct services from Koh Samui to Hat Yai are provided by Phantip Travel, which has daily departures at 07.30 and 09.30.
Buy Tickets to Hat Yai
Use the Search Box below to find your tickets from Koh Samui to Hat Yai.
- Child Tickets are available for passengers aged between 2 and 11 years on the Lomprayah Service.
- Payment can be made by debit card, credit card or PayPal.
- Electronic Ticket Vouchers will be sent by e-mail.
Option 1: Phantip Travel
Phantip Travel operates a ‘no-frills’ value for money service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai. The first stage of the journey is a minivan transfer to Lipa Noi Raja Ferry Port in Koh Samui. From there passengers board the Raja Car Ferry for a 1 hour 30 sea crossing to the Donsak Raja Ferry Port where a minivan will be waiting to take them direct to Hat Yai.
- The Phantip Travel service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai departs from Koh Samui Bus Station:
- The Phantip Travel service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai terminates at Hat Yai Bus Station:
Option 2: Lomprayah Ferry
The Lomprayah Ferry service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai commences with a 45 minute sea crossing on a high speed ferry to Laem Thuat Pier in Donsak. There is also an option of booking a transfer from your hotel to the ferry pier to start the journey, although be aware the pick up is 1 hour 30 minutes before the ferry actually departs which some time spent waiting. From Laem Thuat passengers are transferred to the Lomprayah Office near Surat Thani where they transfer to a minivan which travels direct to Hat Yai.
- The Lomprayah Ferry service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai departs from Nathon Ferry Pier:
- The Lomprayah Ferry service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai terminates at Hat Yai Minivan Station:
Option 3: Seatran Discovery
For many passengers the Seatran Discovery service will be the most convenient. The service departs from a ferry pier in the north of Koh Samui which is much closer to the popular resort towns of Bophut, Chaweng and Lamai than either Koh Samui Bus Station or Nathon Lomprayah Ferry Pier. The Seatran Discovery uses fairly fast ferries for the sea-crossing to the mainland where passengers transfer to a bus, rather than a minivan, for the journey to Hat Yai.
- The Seatran Discovery service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai departs from Bangrak Seatran Discovery Ferry Pier:
- The Seatran Discovery service from Koh Samui to Hat Yai terminates at Hat Yai Bus Station: