There are three ways to travel by public transport from Bangkok to Phayao:
- Option 1: Take a bus direct from Bangkok to Phayao.
- Option 2: Take a train or plane to Chiang Mai and then a bus to Phayao.
- Option 3: Fly to Chiang Rai and then take a bus to Phayao.
Bus Times from Bangkok to Phayao
There are currently 3 direct bus services a day from Bangkok to Phayao available to book online.
|18:25||05:15||779 THB||VIP||Budsarakham Tour|
|19:30||07:20||646 THB||VIP 31||Transport Co|
|20:30||06:00||1,009 THB||VIP 33||Sombat Tour|
- Budsarakham Tour and Transport Co bus services from Bangkok to Phayao depart from Morchit Bus Station, which is Bangkok’s Northern Bus Terminal.
- Sombat Tour bus services from Bangkok to Phayao depart from the Sombat Tour Bus Station on Soi Vibhavadi Rangsit 13, Bangkok.
The journey by bus is scheduled to take between 9 hours 30 minutes and 11 hours 50 minutes depending upon which bus service you take.
Buy Tickets from Bangkok to Phayao
Use the Search Box below to buy your tickets from Bangkok to Phayao.
Booking in advance is recommended on the Bangkok to Phayao route because there are a limited number of seats available on these direct bus services.
Bangkok Northern Bus Terminal
Budsarakham Tour and Transport Co bus services from Bangkok to Phayao depart from Northern Bus Terminal. From central Bangkok you can travel to the Northern Bus Terminal either by taking the metro to Chatuchak MRT station, or the elevated light railway to Mo Chit BTS station, and then a short taxi ride to the bus station which costs around 60 THB in a meter taxi. You can also reach the Northern Bus Terminal from Don Mueang Airport on the A1 shuttle bus. the fare is 30 THB and the journey takes around 40 minutes.
Location of the Northern Bus Terminal
Location of Phayao Bus Station
Trains from Bangkok to Chiang Mai
There are 5 direct train services a day from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Travel by train is scheduled to take between 10 hours 25 minutes on the fastest train (Train #7) and 13 hours 50 minutes on the slowest train (Train #109).
|Bangkok||Chiang Mai||Train No.||Service|
- See more information about train travel from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.
- Bus services from Chiang Mai to Phayao depart at 08:00, 11:00, 12:00, 13:00, 15:00 and 17:00 from Chiang Mai Bus Terminal 3.
About Travel to Phayao
Phayao is a wonderful off the beaten track destination in the mountains situated on a large lake. Phayao is a step back in time with tree lined streets, wooden houses and temples. Phayao also sits on the edge of a large wetland environment and a scenic mountain range. This is great place to visit at the same time as Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong.
There are wide range of activities and things to do both in Phayao itself and within easy travelling distance from Phayao for day trips:
- Phayao Lake: Phayao town sits on the edge of Phayao Lake, which is a man made lake covering 20 square km. The lake is a popular place to fish and picnic beside. There are some nice restaurants on the lakeside and cycling around the lake makes for a pleasant day out. If you travel around the lake you can see many of the other attractions referred to below on route.
- Wat Tilokaram: Located on an island in the lake, this small temple consists of a chedi and a shrine. You need to hire a boat to get there which will cost around 100 THB.
- Phayao Cultural Exhibition Hall: Located 1 km north of the bus station on the lakeside this small museum (also referred to as Nithat Culture Hall Wat Si Kham Kham) contains a range of exhibits ranging from locally found dinosaur fossils to displays about fish in the lake.
- Wat Analayo: Hill side temple located 14 km to the east of Phayao.
- Mae Puem National Park: 24 km from Phayao, Mae Puem National Park features a large lake that is popular with bird watchers who come to see the migratory birds. There are also plenty of trails through the hills and forests of this scenic park.