There are two ways to get from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon:
- Option 1: Fly to Sakon Nakhon.
- Option 2: Take a bus to Sakon Nakhon.
Flight Times from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon
Flights from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon are relatively cheap making air travel the most popular way to travel from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon.
|Don Mueang Airport - Sakon Nakhon ฿ 1,632 1h 15m|
- Departure Point: Flights to Sakon Nakhon depart from Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok.
Bus Times from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon
Bus services from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon mostly travel overnight and the cheapest seats cost less than half the amount of a flight ticket, although the journey takes more than 9 hours longer.
- Departure from Bangkok: Bus services to Nakhon Sakon depart from Bangkok’s Northern Bus Terminal.
- Bus Company: This service is operated by the state owned Transport Co.
- Journey Time: 10 hours 30 minutes
- Sakon Nakhon Bus Station: This bus service terminates at Sakon Nakhon Bus Terminal 2 which is located outside the city centre.
Buy Tickets from Bangkok to Sakhon Nakhon
Use the Search Box below to buy bus tickets and flights from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon.
After booking you will be sent an electronic ticket voucher which you should print out and present at either the bus station or airport check-in desk before departure.
Bangkok Northern Bus Terminal
Morchit or Mo Chit is the local name for Bangkok’s Northern Bus Terminal. Morchit Bus Terminal is located near Chatuchak Park. Mo Chit BTS station is 2.5 km from Morchit Bus Station by road and Chatuchak MRT station is 4.9 km from Morchit by road. There are normally plenty of meter taxis available from both the BTS and MRT station. Expect to pay around 60 THB on a taxi meter for the journey from either the BTS or MRT stations to Morchit Bus Station.
Location of Bangkok Northern Bus Terminal
Travel from Sakon Nakhon
For local travel within Sakon Nakhon town you have three choices: local bus services, cycle rickshaws, and motorised three wheel samlor taxi which are similar to tuk-tuks. Fares are not fixed and need to be negotiated in advance. Travel in Sakon Nakhon tends to be very cheap but more difficult to organise than other parts of Thailand: few foreign visitors go to Sakon Nakhon and the English language skills of local transport operators tend to be very poor.
Long distance bus services connect Sakon Nakhon will a wide range of destinations in Northern and Central Thailand. From Sakhon Nakhon Bus Station you can travel direct to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Lampang, Loei, Phrae, Nakhon Phanom and a variety of other destinations. For travel to Nong Khai and onto Laos you need to first travel to Udon Thani:
- There are two daily bus services from Sakon Nakhon to Udon Thani at 10.30 and 11.35. The journey takes 2 hours 15 minutes.
- From Udon Thani there are minivan services to Nong Khai every hour from 06.00 to 19.00. It takes approximately 1 hour to travel from Udon Thani to Nong Khai by minivan.
Sakon Nakhon Bus Station
- Address: Sakon Nakhon Bus Terminal 2 is located at That Choeng Chum, Mueang Sakon Nakhon District, Sakon Nakhon 47000