There are three ways to travel by public transport from Bangkok to Vientiane in Laos:
- By Bus
- By Plane
- By Train and then bus
Buy Tickets from Bangkok to Vientiane
Use the Search Box below to book flights, train tickets and bus services from Bangkok to Vientiane.
Tickets for a wide range of trains, flights and different bus services are available to book online.
- Compare travel times and ticket prices.
- Secure online booking.
- Instant ticket conformation.
Option 1: Travel by bus from Bangkok to Vientiane
Travel by bus is the cheapest way to travel direct from Bangkok to Vientiane. Travel by bus is also quicker than travel by train although it will be more difficult to sleep on the bus than on the train if you book a sleeper berth.
Bus Times from Bangkok to Vientiane
|16:00||11:00||1,400 THB||Tara Tour and Travel|
|20:00||11:20||986 THB||Transport Co|
Transport Co services from Bangkok to Vientiane depart from Bangkok Northern Bus Terminal.
Location of the Arrival Point in Vientiane
- Bus services from Bangkok to Vientiame terminate at the Vientiane Central Bus Station which is in the centre of Vientiane
Option 2: Fly from Bangkok to Vientiane
Air travel is the quickest way to travel between Bangkok and Vientiane, but also the most expensive.
Flight Times from Bangkok to Vientiane
|Bangkok - Vientiane ฿ 2,452–10,619 1h 15m – 1d 8h 30m|
|Don Mueang Airport - Vientiane ฿ 2,650 1h 10m|
For the cheapest flights from Bangkok to Vientiane travel with AirAsia from Don Mueang Airport. AirAsia is South East Asia’s largest low cost carrier. The more expensive flights depart from Suvarnabhumi Airport, which is Bangkok’s main international airport.
Flying will appeal to people on short trips to South East Asia. More adventurous travellers, with more time to spare, may prefer to travel the overland route and take in the scenery along the way at ground level. There is an undeniable charm to ‘slow travel’ which you never experience if you only ever fly.
Location of Vientiane’s Wattay International Airport
Vientiane is the capital city of Laos and has a population of approximately 760,000. This city is located on the mighty Kong River (also known as the ‘Mekong River’) with evidence of human settlement at the location of the current city dating back to the 9th Century and possibly earlier.
Diverse Cultural Influences
This is a city with a lot of history and some very diverse cultural influences, with various different ethnic groups and nations have been in control of Vientiane through the ages including the Khmer people, Burmese, Thais, Japanese, French and Americans before the Laos people themselves regained control of the city in 1975 and established the Laos People’s Democratic Republic.
Top Tourist Attractions in Vientiane
Amongst the main tourist attractions in around and around the city are:
- Wat Pra That Luang: A temple built in the 1560s with a 45 metre golden stupa believed to contain important Buddha relics .
- Wat Si Muang: A temple also built in the 1560s with a statute of King Sisavang Vong in front.
- Patuxai Memorial Monument: Inspired by the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and adorned with classic Laos style motifs.
- Talat Sao: A large morning market in central Vientiane.
- Buddha Park: A large park on the banks of the Mekong River, some 28 km from central Vientiane, established in 1958 and featuring Hindu and Buddhist sculptures amongst the trees and bushes.