There are two ways to travel direct by public transport from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani:
- By bus.
- By taking a flight.
The cheapest way to travel from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani is by bus, however, the journey by bus takes a long time: up to 12 hours 30 minutes. Flying from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani costs approximately three times as much but the flight time is around 60 to 70 minutes.
Bus Times from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani
There are currently 3 daily bus services from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani which you can book online.
|Chiang Mai||Udon Thani||Cost||Service||Company|
|17:00||04:45||฿ 769||Express||Phet Prasert|
|19:30||07:15||฿ 769||Express||Phet Prasert|
|20:30||07:00||฿ 1,032||VIP 24||Orsuksa Tour|
- The journey by bus from Chiang Mai to Udon is scheduled to take 11 hours 45 minutes on the Phet Prasert bus services and 10 hours 30 minutes on the Orsuksa Tour service.
- The VIP 24 service is more expensive as passengers get considerably more leg room than they do on the Express bus services because there are fewer seats fitted into the bus on the VIP 24 service. Passengers on the VIP 24 services also get a full meal at a roadside restaurant and a TV in the central aisle playing films, which may or may not be a benefit to you on your bus journey. On Express bus services from Chiang Mai passengers get only a small snack and a bottle of water, and there is no TV.
Flight Times from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani
Nok Air and Thai AirAsia operate flights from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani.
|Chiang Mai - Udon Thani ฿ 1,699–2,099 1h 5m – 1h 20m|
* The price of ticket varies depending on the day of travel and how far in advance you book a ticket. Use the Search Box for real time pricing.
Buy Tickets from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani
Use the Search Box to find your tickets from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. Both flights and bus services are available to book online.
Chiang Mai Bus Station
Direct bus services to Udon Thani depart from Chiang Mai Bus Terminal 2. Chiang Mai Bus Terminal 2 is located 3.4 km away from the Thae Pae Gate in Chiang Mai’s old city and 3.5 km from Chiang Mai Night Bazaar near the popular riverside area. It is too far to walk to Chiang Mai’s Bus Terminal 2 from most of Chiang Mai’s popular hotels and guest houses. expect to pay 60 to 80 THB to travel to the bus station in a tuk-tuk.
Location of Chiang Mai Bus Terminal 2
Arrival by bus in Udon Thani
There are different arrival points in Udon Thani depending upon which bus service you take:
- The Orsuksa Tour bus service from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani terminates at Udon Thani Bus Station 2.
- The Phet Prasert bus service from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani terminates at Udon Thani Bus Station 1.
These two arrival points are located in the same area of Udon Thani: Central Plaza is 280 metres walking distance from Udon Thani Bus Station 1. Both arrival points are conveniently placed for both the train station and within walking distance of the excellent Charoen Hotel:
- Central Plaza to Udon Thani Railway Station: 650 metres
- Udon Thani Bus Station 1 to Udon Thani Railway Station: 700 metres
- Central Plaza to the Chareon Hotel: 500 metres
- Udon Thani Bus Station 1 to the Chareon Hotel: 700 metres
Location of Udon Thani Bus Station 1
Location of Udon Thani Bus Station 2