The Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company has two direct services per day from Hua Hin town centre to Koh Samui. Travel with the Lomprayah Company is the quickest way to travel from Hua Hin to Koh Samui. The other option is to take a train to either Chumphon or Surat Thani and then take a ferry to Koh Samui. Travel by train involves a very early start in morning and will take a lot longer as you need to arrange your own transfer from the train station to the ferry terminal. Trains also tend to be slower than buses in Thailand.
Travel Times to Koh Samui
- Departure and arrival times of the Lomprayah service from Hua Hin to Koh Samui:
|Hua Hin||Koh Samui||Cost||Journey Time|
|08:30||16:40||1,400 THB||8 hours 10 min|
|23:30||11:20||1,400 THB||11 hours 50 min|
- Lomprayah ferry and bus tickets for children aged between 2 and 12 at the time of travel can be purchased for the reduced fare of 700 THB.
Buy Tickets to Koh Samui
Use the Search Box below to buy joint bus and ferry tickets from Hua Hin to Koh Samui.
It is a good idea to book tickets in advance because the number of seats is limited as the service to Koh Samui travels via Koh Phangan. Koh Phangan is the location of the Full Moon Party and for the week leading up to the monthly Full Moon Party a lot of people travel to Koh Phangan, as well as Koh Samui. If your travel dates coincide with the Full Moon Party you are likely to find it difficult to book a seat if you leave it a day or two before before you intend to travel.
Lomprayah Ferry to Koh Samui
The Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company is the premier travel operator in the Gulf of Thailand. In addition to a fleet of high speed catamaran ferries they have a large number of buses and minivans which are driven by their own staff. The levels of service and safety provided by the Lomprayah Company are better than the vast majority of other transport companies in Thailand. The journey with the Lomprayah Company from Hua Hin to Koh Samui has two parts.
- Part 1: A bus journey for the 293 km journey to Thong Makham Noi Ferry Pier which is near to the town of Chumphon. The Lomprayah Company uses comfortable air-conditioned buses with an on board toilet. They also provide a snack included in the price. the drive from Hua Hin to the Ferry Pier should take 4 hours 12 minutes.
- Part 2: A sea crossing via the islands of Koh Tao, Koh Nangyuan and Koh Phangan which takes 3 hours 50 minutes. The Lomprayah Company operates a fleet of 5 high speed catamaran ferries on the Gulf of Thailand travel routes. The ferries vary in size but all have inside seating in an air-conditioned cabin as well as two or three sun decks if you want to sit outside. The boats have toilets and a shop selling drinks and snacks. The sea crossing is pleasant as you get great views of the islands of the many small islands of the Ang Thong Marine Park, which were the inspiration for Alex Garland’s famous book ‘The Beach’.
Bus Stop in Hua Hin
- The bus departs from the Lomprayah Company’s Hua Hin Office, 85/7 Phet Kasem Rd, Hua Hin, Hua Hin District, Chang Wat Prachuap Khiri Khan 77110.
Travel in Koh Samui
The Lomprayah service terminates at Pralan Ferry Pier, which is in Maenam on the North Coast of Koh Samui. The pier is located some distance from a major road which means that you cannot easily access public transport from the pier itself.
Travel from Pralan Ferry Pier:
- Option 1: Walk to Main Road. Walk 950 metres (11 minutes at average walking speed) from the ferry pier to the main ring road around Koh Samui. From there either wave down a a shared ‘songthaew’ taxi or a taxi. Taxis are expensive on Koh Samui compared to other locations in Thailand. Shared taxis are much cheaper and will cost less than 100 THB per person to most destinations on the ring road around Koh Samui. With both shared taxis and normal taxis agree a price before you start the journey to avoid arguments later on.
- Option 2: Pre-booked Minivan. When you are on the ferry speak to the staff about pre-booking a place in a minivan service operated by the Lomprayah Company. The cost is 150 THB per person to any destination on the island. At the ferry pier there is always a large number of minivans waiting to take pre-booked customers to various location around the island. The service is quick and efficient and they will take you right your hotel. We recommend this service for travel from Pralan Pier.
Arrival Point in Koh Samui
- The ferry arrives at the Lomprayah Ferry Pier (Pralan Pier) in Maenam, in the North of Koh Samui.