Satun Bus Station is a small bus station in the far south western corner of Thailand 977 km by road from Bangkok.
Satun Bus Station is the public transport hub for connections to and from the ferry ports in Satun Province, which has little tourism other than in the established resort islands off the coast of Western Thailand.
About Satun Bus Station
The majority of the services operating out of Satun Bus Station are minivan services to destinations in Southern Thailand.
There are a few big bus services operating on long distance routes from Satun Bus Station. The main route is to Bangkok, with less frequent bus services travelling direct to Phuket, Trang and Krabi. For other destinations the best option is to take a minivan to Hat Yai Bus Station which is the major bus station in the region with direct services to towns across Southern Thailand as well as to major towns and cities in Malaysia.
Local Travel from Satun Bus Station
There are two destinations where most foreign travellers passing through Satun Bus Station will be headed towards:
- Tammalung Pier: This is where ferries to Langkawi depart from.
- Pak Bara Pier: This is where speed boat services to Koh Lipe depart from.
Satun Bus Station is much closer to Tammalung Pier than it is Pak Bara Pier (62 km) and it’s more difficult and expensive to travel from Satun to Pak Bara Pier, so much so that you might be better off simply taking a direct joint bus and ferry service from Hat Yai to Koh Lipe than attempting to travel to Koh Lipe via Satun Bus Station.
There are two ways to reach both of piers from Satun Bus Station, with the faster option being the more expensive.
- Tammalung Pier:
- Shared taxi: Shared taxis go from the bus station to Tammalung Pier for 40 THB per person. This is no fixed scheduled.
- Motorbike taxi: At the rear of Satun Bus Station there is a motorbike taxi stand. The fare from Satun Bus Station to Tammalung Pier in March 2019 was 60 THB.
- Pakbara Pier:
- Minivan and shared taxi: You can take a minivan from Satun Bus Station towards La-Ngu and asked to be dropped at the turning to Pak Bara Pier. Shared taxis run past the turning to Pak Bara Pier. Foreigners are normally charged 50 THB for the minivan and 20 THB for the shared taxi from the turning to Pak Bara Pier.
- Direct minivan: Direct minivan services to Pak Bara Pier depart from near the turning to Sulakunakoon Soi 6 on the Sulakunakoon Road, which is the main road running south to north through Satun Town. This is a private minivan service operated by the Satun Pakbara Speed Boat Club and you can expect to pay several hundred baht for the journey, more if you are unwilling to wait for a scheduled service to depart and want a private hire.
Location of Satun Bus Station
Satun Bus Station is located 8.8 km from Tammalang Pier.
Facilities at Satun Bus Station
There are very few amenities at Satun Bus Station or close by as the bus station is on side road some distance from the town centre.
Facilities at Satun Bus Station include:
- Toilets which are free to use at the opposite end of the bus station to the ticket offices.
- A small shop selling drinks and snacks near to the ticket offices.
Buy Tickets at Satun Bus Station
The ticket offices at Satun Bus Station are at the front of the station as you enter the terminal building. There are different ticket counters for each service providers. Several ticket counters sell bus tickets to Bangkok.
One major annoyance at Satun Bus Station is an English speaking Thai lady who will attempt to misdirect to an overpriced bus service as you enter the station, particularly if you are a foreigner. She is very persistent and will lie to you about the timing and cost of the next available departure to get you to buy a ticket through her. Politely refuse her assistance – she is a ticket tout and does work at the station – and deal directly with the people at the ticket counters.
Buy Tickets online
Use the Search Box below to buy travel tickets from Satun Bus Station to Bangkok:
Change for the destination in the Search Box to find tickets to other places in Thailand.
Bus to Bangkok
There are five daily bus services from Satun Bus Station to Bangkok which you can book online. The final stop for these services is Bangkok Southern Bus Terminal.
- Timetable of Bus services from Satun to Bangkok:
|15:05||05:55||744 THB||Express||Sri Suthep Tour|
|15:30||06:20||855 THB||VIP||Sri Suthep Tour|
|16:15||07:05||744 THB||Express||Sri Suthep Tour|
- Journey Time: The journey takes between 13 hours 10 minutes and 14 hours 50 minutes.
- Tickets: Check for ticket availability for bus services from Satun to Bangkok.
Minivan to Hat Yai
Minivan services to Hat Yai depart from Satun Bus Station approximately once an hour, when they are full, from around 06:00 until 17:00. The fare is 50 THB, although you may be charged more.
Minivan to Trang
Minivan services to Trang depart from Satun Bus Station approximately once every two hours, when they are full, from around 06:00 until 17:00. The fare is around 100 THB.
Bus to Krabi and Phuket
Local bus services depart from Satun Bus Station travelling to Phuket via Phang Nga and Krabi approximately every 2 hours from 07:00 until 20:00. The fares vary depending upon which service you take. Expect to pay around 350 THB to travel to Phuket.